Helping Students Stay Safe Online
Today (Tuesday 10th February) is Safer Internet Day and at ARK Kings Academy we’ve been working with students and parents to reinforce the work we do with students and parents all year round to keep young people safe.
Our young people have grown up with technology and are quick to recognise and make full use of the opportunities that the internet can offer. Today, we’ve been encouraging students to take a step back and really think about how they use the internet and to consider what steps they can take to keep safe online.
Topics have included:
- Cyberbullying and the importance of being kinds to others online
- Managing your online reputation - thinking about what you’re posting, making best use of privacy settings and how to develop a positive online reputation
- ‘Sexting’ and problems associated with using technology to share sexual content
- Safely using social networks such as Facebook and peer pressure issues
- Online grooming and personal safety
Working with parents to keep students safe
At ARK Kings we believe that internet safety education is a crucial element of the curriculum and an essential part of young people’s development. We also know how important it is for parents to be knowledgeable on online safety. For this reason, we will be holding a workshop with parents on online safety at our next Parent Forum meeting in March. Please look out for more information very shortly.
Find Out More
Over on the UK Safer Internet Centre website you can find lots of helpful advice and resources on staying safe and making the most of new technology. Resources are available to suit children in different age groups as well as parents and carers, educators and other professionals.